Sunday, May 2, 2010

the free cupcake

Flavor: Banana Bread Chocolate Chip/ Chocolate
Cost: Free! (it was a gift)
Location: Sweet Freedom Bakery in Philadelphia, PA
I've been working at the same fitness center for over 9 years. Ironically, I generally don't work out. Even more ironic, the owner's daughter, Becky, is a baker.
Becky, however, is no ordinary baker.
She is a vegan who works at a bakery in Phillie that caters to the unique diet.
After following my blog, she was kind enough to bring me a delicious treat from her job when she came up to North Jersey this weekend.
"It kind of got messed up in the car because the frosting is very sensitive," said Becky.
Oh, I thought. I'll be careful not to tell any sarcastic jokes? Curious, I asked her what exactly sensitive frosting was.
"It's made with coconut milk," she informed me.
After further educating me about the dessert, I found that all of the baked goods from Sweet Freedom are free of:
• dairy products
• casein
• eggs
• gluten
• corn
• wheat
• peanuts
• soy
As a vegetarian myself, I wasn't overwhelmed with the restricted ingredients... but then what the heck are they made of?
Besides love (aww), the baked goods are created with organic coconut oil, agave nectar, and other natural ingredients.
(For more info, visit Sweet Freedom's website.)
In addition to being good for you, these treats are perfect for children and adults alike with dietary restrictions.
"Seeing the faces of kids who can't eat certain foods... like watching them get their first cupcake, it's amazing," said Becky.
(I imagine it looks somewhat like mine every time I sit down in front of one myself.)
When I came home today, Cristofer's band mate/vegan friend Rhett was over, and I couldn't wait to share my new 'animal friendly' dessert with him.
Well, we both loved them. Delicious and sweet... and with the exception of the texture of the cake itself, you really can't tell the difference in taste.
I'm not even a big fan of bananas... but it was a perfect blend of chocolate frosting and chocolate chips with a hint of banana bread flavor that didn't overwhelm the palate.

Nom nom,
Kelly

p.s. Thank you Becky for donating the cupcakes for today's entry... you are a fantastic baker!

No comments:

Post a Comment