Saturday, April 24, 2010

the cupcake that taught me a lesson

Flavor: ... Cornbread =/
Cost: $3.99
Location: Whole Foods in Madison, NJ
Do you know when you're younger and your parents teach you not to judge a book by it's cover? Or when you're older and it takes you a while but you realize... expensive labels and ritzy things aren't everything? I was reminded of those lessons today, cupcake style. And contrary to popular belief, it's pretty tough to walk away from a lesson in life you had to learn through a bad cupcake experience....
Where do I begin? Cristofer and I decided it was a nice enough night to go driving for a 'find the perfect cupcake' adventure. While I suggested the local coffee shop, he was up for a good 20 minute drive, which brought us to the Whole Foods in Madison.
The woman at the bakery counter was less than thrilled with my 10 minute picking-out-a-cupcake internal conflict.
Here was the situation -
To the left: a simple, chocolate cupcake, with chocolate shavings on top- exactly what I was looking for to suffice my chocolate craving.
To the right: a seemingly vanilla cupcake with a beehive and bees decorating the top. The decision was tough, especially because I said said earlier this week cupcakes all need a little chocolate.
I also made a specific point to ask the ill-tempered bakery mistress 'are any of these cupcakes specific flavors?'
to which she replied 'no. they are all either chocolate or white cake.'
But I decided to go with the unique latter of the two, mainly to take a good picture and show it off here on the blog.
When I got home [after the photo shoot, of course] I was almost too excited to indulge in my tasty treat. I took a bite and...
....
...
:x
...
realized it was not white cake. It wasn't 'cake' at all. Cornbread. The damn thing tasted like cornbread. I felt miserable and defeated and clearly had no interest in finishing it.
But now that I sit here and blog, I realize one thing: my first bad cupcake experience is over.
It probably won't be the last (I'm sad to admit) but by the same token, I'll be more prepared to handle the situation.
As for learning a lesson, I think moving forward I'm going to go with the cupcake I want... not the one that just looks cool for a photo [unless that's the one I want ;) ].

Nom nom,
Kelly

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of glad you had a bad experience. This would get a little redundant if all you were having were amazing delicious cupcakes :) I wonder if it was really cornbread or just a bad taste of what should have been vanilla??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristofer confirmed that it was, in fact, cornbread =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I happen to like cornbread muffins, so long as they are moist. I've had some so dry it's like chewing sawdust. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I'd have gone back out and gotten something edible! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have... but I don't think the woman who worked there would have been too happy to see us again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cornbread? lol where's the butter? I bet the mean counter lady makes them out of cornbread and lures in the cupcake-eaters with fancy bees. She probably gets some sort of satisfaction from it,

    ReplyDelete